Being involved in any type of car accident can be scary, but you can normally take comfort in knowing the insurance company pay for your losses. Of course, this is in the case with a hit-and-run accident when the driver who is at fault leaves the scene before you can record their information. There are some steps you can take to help you if you find yourself in this predicament:
- Write down all the information you can about vehicle: this can be difficult if the accident is serious and you’re in shock. If you’re able to, though, you need to immediately record all the information you can about the other vehicle. Try to determine the vehicles make and model, the color, the license plate number, any distinguishing details, the direction of vehicles traveling, and any details about the driver of the vehicle. The more information you have, the better the chances they will be found and apprehended.
- Call the authorities: as soon as a hit-and-run accident occurs, you must call the police. The quicker the police can get on the case, the better your chances of the driver being found. Having a police report filed will be important when you have to talk to your own insurance company as well.
- Look for witnesses: if anyone else saw the hit-and-run, you need to write down their contact information and what they saw. The police will also want to talk with any witness available. You never know, a witness may have written down the license plate number of the car involved.
- Check with nearby businesses: many gas stations and other businesses will have security cameras to help deter crime. It’s possible a camera recorded the accident, thus making it easier to determine fault and identify the driver.
- Contact your insurance company: the typically the insurance company of the driver at fault responsible for the damages, your insurance company may help out with some costs. This depends on the kind of policy you carry, though. Regardless, you need to report the accident immediately so your insurance company can start their investigation. Otherwise, they may deny your claim completely.
- Hire an experienced attorney: being involved in a hit-and-run accident can leave you feeling helpless. When you hire a personal injury attorney in Gulfport MS, they will investigate all the facts of the accident and work hard to help find the driver. An experienced attorney can also bequeath your insurance company to negotiate your claim and help you walk away with the most money possible.